16 April 2006

a singer sewing machine

My parents recently downsized from a terraced house; a former pub to a flat. Conscious that they needed to declutter, my mother told me that she had put an advert in the local paper, to sell my fathers old Singer sewing machine. This was the black and gold machine he had worked on at home during his career as a tailor and cutter and used to make all my clothes on it. My mother informed me that she had priced it at £40 and had got no response. I was horrified and told her I would take the machine, thinking I might use it one day, but also to keep it as a family "heirloom". My mother proceeded to tell me that my father had made her wedding dress on the machine. I was amazed at how little value she placed on this history; I am so pleased I managed to rescue The singer sewing machine from an anonymous future existence.

No comments: