14 April 2006

A memory from a window

I must tell you about a shocking experience I had this morning. I was performing my usual life won't commence before a cup of coffee drink action, when I heard the most almighty squawking coming from the garden. I looked out of the window and initially saw what I thought was a kestral feeding a baby, the smaller bird seemed to be prone beneath it with its mouth open. Then as I started to take in the spectacle fully, I realised the bird was actually pinned down by the kestrals tallons. My first reaction was to open the window and frighten the thing away, naively thinking it might let go of the pathetic scrawny pleading thing beneath it. it reacted to my voice by taking flight with the other bird clasped to its tallons, landing in my next door neighbours garden. I stood frozen for a few minutes, deeply shocked by the scene, which I would not have imagined would occur in a domestic setting. The finale to this situation involved the sight of the kestral taking off with the dead bird, in its claws, with limp neck hanging, it was as if it was carrying a shopping bag in its arms. The visual imprint of this event stayed with me for the rest of the day.

No comments: