21 April 2006

psychogeography of domestic spaces

I drove to London yesterday with Hilary to talk with Barbara about preparations for the first day of the residency. It will be an open day, including the first day of What's for Dinner, a new show at the museum exploring the changing eating habits in the UK over the last 50 years. We worked well as a team and the energy around the start of a new project felt very positive.

I liked the way we sat round the kitchen table talking about domestic social spaces in a kitchen space. I was reminded of a film I saw recently called Kitchen Stories, in which a male observor recruited by the "Home Research Institute" is sent to Norway to map out the kitchen routines of single men. I could visualise a researcher sitting in the room with us, perched on his high chair above us mapping out the way we took up and moved around the space. Sometime before I saw this film, we carried out some research in our individual kitchens in which we mapped out our movements over a morning. As a great deal of my work has been in external spaces, the psychogeography of space has been an area of interest to me, a sort of drawing out of space in shadows and footsteps, and the impact of histories and myths on the body and mind. It seems this notion can be transferred to the museum or home setting, with other forms of flow, movement, history, interactions and wanderings of these particular spaces and I am sure the ideas of psychogeography could be taken and used in this setting.

How many times do I go up and down the stairs in a week, how was I feeling this morning when I went up the stairs, what was my task when I went down the stairs, how much do i take my surrounding for granted, do I take in what is around me, or am I always trying to get somewhere else?

No comments: